Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I am gaming, therefore I am learning.

Hello everyone.

Once again, I am going to blog about various Internet stuff. This time, I will talk about E-Learning! First, E-business and now E-Learning yay! I know the words learning and education brings up images of boring classes and strict overbearing teachers. But my dear fellows, with the Internet and various improvements in computer technology all that may change!

As a computer gamer, I love to game. And I hate studying. Imagine combining computer gaming and education. I hate studying. Yeah, I know this is nothing new as there are many educational games out there. And did I mention I hate studying?

Imagine playing your favorite massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). You enter a room with the rest of your friends. Suddenly, the room darkens and you tense up expecting some action. And your expectations are proven as your lecturer's avatar then enters the room as well and begins his lesson! Soon, he is giving an online lecture in your favorite game. You control your character to accomplish the different practical and "hands on" assignment that
your lecturer assigns you to. At the same time, he summons up various non-player characters (NPCs) and teleports you into different settings so that he can demonstrate certain aspects of whatever he is teaching. Finally, you are given a quest where you have to make use of the various concept you have just learned to gain additional loot and other goodies for your character. Now, how awesome those this sound?

The graphics aren't that great but whatever.

That is how a virtual classroom may be like. A classroom where everything and anything is possible. Pilots have virtual flight simulators and even the US army uses virtual lessons to teach its commanders. In fact, the game Full Spectrum Warrior was developed specifically to train US military personnel. With that in mind, the future of the virtual classroom may no longer be a dream, but a reality.


I didn't know you could play games in the military...


No comments:

Post a Comment