Saturday, February 13, 2010

Just Google it

Welcome back!

In this episode, I will be talking about Google. I can't really think of anything witty of funny to talk about this time, so I will be talking about Google in general and how it has so ingrained into our daily lives. This post might be a bit boring so I apologize and feel free to do something more entertaining instead of reading this. I will be trying to inject some humour into this post as usual, but forgive me if I fail miserably.

Google has become more than just a search engine. It has Google Earth and Google Maps which allow us to view satellite views of anywhere on else. There is Google Scholar, which is a database for many scholarly articles and research papers, which is a godsend for students like me. And there are many more.

In fact, the word Google has become integrated into our English language. Many at times I would ask a friend about some matter and he would respond with "Just Google it". If a teacher didn't explain something in school properly, I would tell myself to relax and "just Google it" the moment I got back home. Google is indeed an extremely powerful and popular search engine for it to warrant a place in the English Language. It is even so powerful that it can search for stuff which you do not even want to know. Such as this:



Seriously I don't want to know. Google may be powerful search engine, but it is still only a program. It cannot find stuff for you without having proper instructions on how to do so. For example, I would need to type in A OR B or A NOT B. You cannot type in something like Lee Kuan Yew's Masterplan and get what you were searching for.

With that sad, Google is a very helpful tool. Have fun playing around with it and you may find funny stuff like around on the net. You may even find the answer to the meaning of life!


No comments:

Post a Comment